Hey, #OccupyWallStreet, Don’t Speak for Me!

Good Point.

Danette Clark

By Danette Clark    December 11, 2011

We are the 99% quickly became the political slogan of Occupy protesters from the movement’s inception. The phrase reportedly originated with a tumblr blog in support of the Occupy movement. However, the motivation behind the slogan very well could have come from a Vanity Fair article written by George Soros-funded economist, Joseph Stiglitz, titled “Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1%.” In the article, Stiglitz writes that America’s top 1% will come to regret their wealth when they learn that “their fate is bound up with how the other 99% live.”

Sounds like a rallying cry for a movement, doesn’t it?

Stiglitz, who advocates for a “new economic world order no longer dominated by 1 superpower,” taught a course to Occupy Wall Street protesters in New York and has addressed protesters in Egypt, Tunisia, and Spain.

The 99% slogan has struck a…

View original post 105 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s